Word History: Type 👩🏻‍💻

in2Era News |

The ancient Greeks used the word túpos ‘a blow or the mark left by a blow’. The Romans changed this word to typus. In the 1700s, this word was used in English to mean letters on printing blocks which left an impression on paper. The machine that made tiny blocks of type hit against a ribbon and leave letters marked on paper was called the typewriter. With computers, writers now use many styles of type called fonts.

← Back